What’s more fun than watching your local VFD members
(your friends & family members) compete in firefighter games?
Eating delicious chili!
Do you have a family recipe that you think would earn the
merit and attention of our illustrious judges?
Enter the Chili-cook to win:
Cool Thor’s Hammer Swag!
– plus –
$250 to the BEST OVERALL Chili
$250 to the PEOPLE’S CHOICE Chili
$150 to each Individual Category Winner
- Each team receives up to three admission bands including food & beverage tickets for your crew, one Thor’s Hammer teeshirt and, one Thor’s Hammer apron (please tell us what size tee shirt you would like!)
- Each team must provide their own work table and serving table. The organizers will provide a table to be used as a serving station only.
- Cook at least 10 gallons of chili – although much more appreciated (remember there will be a large hungry crowd).
- Chili must be prepared on site
- Pre-soaked beans OK – Pre-mixed sauce OK — (not pre-cooked). Vegetables may be pre-chopped. Meat must come from or be processed by a licensed dept. or butcher. All food items must be stored and transported in properly iced coolers to maintain a temperature below 40 degrees.
- Each entry must complete the Virginia Health Department application and submit to Thor’s Hammer before September 15, 2018
- Thor’s Hammer will provide sample cups, spoons, hair nets, gloves, disinfecting wipes, hand sanitizer, and sanitation stations for utensils and hand washing.
- Set-up limited to 12′ by 12′ area – Space limited to first 12 entries.
- Entry deadline September 15, 2018
Teams Will Provide
- Non-electrical cooking apparatus (ie. Coleman stove, charcoal grill, firewood, pots, and utensils)
- Non-copper cooking pots with lids, non-copper cooking utensils
- Canopy, tarp or easy-up to cover cooking area
- Table(s), chairs, etc. for preparation
- Hair control devices, i.e. hats or nets
- Banners, signs, decorations for a unique themed set-up
- All teams must have proof of age to receive beer from the beer truck. After showing proof of age your team will receive a special stamp/bracelet to show to enjoy an adult beverage.
- All teams must regularly wash hands (very important) to ensure a safe, sanitary environment
Judging Criteria & Categories
- Unique Name — 1 to 10 points awarded
- Theme / Set-up — 1 to 20 points – Judges will be looking for a sign with the name of the chili clearly visible and the theme or name represented in a fun and engaging manner. How well do the decorations and props support the theme?
- Quality of the Chili — possible 50 points.
- Meat or meat substitute – 1 to 10 points
- Beans – 1 to 10 points
- Spice balance and seasoning – 1 to 10 points
- Texture – 1 to 10 points
- Overall quality, how well does the recipe convey the theme, how well was it executed – 1 to 10 points
- Best Firehouse Chili – Firehouse entries ONLY – top-scoring chili from the firehouse entries + 20 points
- Best Red Chili (non-firehouse entries) (must have beans) + 20 points
- Best Vegetarian + 20 points
- Best Theme / Set-up + 20 points